Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SE Asia Recap

Well, it has been five days since we got back in country. It is good to be back home. We had a beautiful view of the CA coast as we were flying in. I saw half moon bay and the golden gate bridge as we flew over the bay area. I was so happy to be home that I jumped and clicked my heels for joy at LAX and got a couple of funny looks for it. I brought home with me many memories and a stomach bug...a nice combo right. It is those memories that I want to reflect on now though.

The trip was hard, but good. The team dynamics were hard for me. I love my team to death and they are all amazing people, but it was hard being with them 24/7 for 3 weeks. I just had a hard time relating with all of them. It was also hard for me to find time alone and just spend good time in prayer and fellowship with the Lord. The trip was also good though. We had amazing translators who were so much fun and made our time so enjoyable. We taught them how to play jenga and sequence and we played these all the time with them. I have now officially played the longest and shortest games of sequence possible and I am the jenga master.

We did many many different things on this trip. We did a couple of different sessions of VBS with different churches. We taught english and we helped with a church youth retreat up in the mountains. We witnessed to muslims on the beaches for a couple of days. We encouraged the missionaries and they encouraged us. We did a little bit of sightseeing as well. We got to go see the largest buddhist temple in the world (which supposedly is one of the wonders of the world and also which you can supposedly see from space...after seeing it I don't really believe either of these claims though:)) I also got to ride an elephant and saw the biggest spider ever (both of which you can see in my picture post).

I also had the neat opportunity one night to work with and encourage this boy and his family. The boy had been in a bad accident and was in a wheelchair. I was able to talk with his parents and just see what exercises they were having him do and stuff and then was able to give them a couple of stretches and exercises for him to do. They kept on asking me how long did I think til he would walk and I told them I wasn't qualified to answer those questions, but I think it was still encouraging to them to have me there and work with him a little bit and just talk with them and affirm some of the things they were already doing with him. It was nice to have my major come in handy for something. :)

Well, that's kinda the trip in overview. Thank you to everyone who was apart of supporting me through money and prayer. I appreciate it so very much! The gospel was made known in SE Asia. Puji Tuhan (Praise the Lord)!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Amen!

That's all I've got to say.

Justin Blomgren said...

dude, It is so good to read about your trip. I heard a bunch from Anthony this past sunday. Miss you man. Whens the next time you'll be in this area?